Alarmingly, the answer often comes back, “Er… Not that much really!”
If you can relate to this then this post is for you.
If you’re serious about making money online and developing a lifetime web-business then sorting out your productivity is absolutely crucial.
There are many techniques that self-improvement gurus talk about but there’s one I’ve been using recently to great effect. I’d like to share it with you here as you’ll be able to put into practice right away and get some super results just as I have.
It’s called CHUNKING.
Chunking is simply the practice of dividing up your time into small amounts and then focusing solely on one task at a time. When the allotted chunk of time is up you stop and either take a break or move onto the next task.
How To “Chunk”
To explain how I’ve been using chunking let me tell you what I’ve been doing today (so far!):
6:40am – Got up, had a shower, drink & banana
7:00am – Switched on my PC and wrote a plan of what I’d like to accomplish today:
- Answer personal and customer support emails (30 mins)
- Continue setting up new squeeze page (1 hour)
- Write blog post on Chunking and email my list 😉 (45 mins)
- Go to the Gym (90 minutes roundtrip)
- Work on new sales page for Gain Higher Ground Membership (60 minutes)
7:10am – Start working through the list
So as you can see, this really gives you some definable goals and a roadmap for whatever time you are able to spend working on your online business.
It doesn’t matter whether you have all day or just 30 minutes in the evening. Chunking can help you enormously.
Here are some more tips to get this working:
1. Always focus on ONLY the job in hand, don’t even think about anything else.
2. Switch off all distractions including Skype, Twitter, Facebook, Email. I actually even physically log out of these to make sure I’m not even tempted to “quickly check my email” when my mind wanders!
3. After the allotted time is up STOP, take a 5 minutes break and then continue with the next task.
The last point is really crucial and the great thing with chunking is that you don’t get bored with working on one particular job for too long. It gives you variety and you always feel fresh because you know shortly it will be time to move on to the next task.
Also, because you know you’re working against the clock you really do get motivated to try and beat it! I’ve found I’m definitely working faster now.
It’s rare to find something so powerful that is so simple and fun. But chunking is just that so I highly recommend you give it a try and see the results for yourself.
What do you think? Have you struggled with productivity before? Please post below and share your thoughts…